Sunday, August 16, 2015

Real data collection, getting away, and keeping in touch.


Sheila and me during
a reliability test.
After 43 days of training 7:30 to 17:00, real data collection has begun! Huzzah!! Consolata, Sylvia, Sheila, and myself are now out Monday to Friday recording behavior and collecting hormone samples in our three study groups. The data are streaming in. What a blessing are good teams? I'm amazed to think that, in one week, four of us accomplish what I alone could accomplish in one month. I'm adjusting to spending my evenings and weekends managing the incoming data, and my weekdays coordinating collection so that when two observers are on the same group, they don't collect the same data. Cheers to new routines!

Last weekend, I went to the city of Kisumu to visit some American friends that I met in years past at a Christian wildlife retreat near camp. They've lived in Kisumu for 10+ years as missionaries. Whilst visiting them I treated myself to some of the latest treats of this growing city.
(Red dot: Kakamega)
Treats available in Kisumu: movie theater, java house with wifi and IHOP style breakfast, woolworth's, healthy u! (can buy quinoa, brazil nuts, nutritional yeast, bio-degradable dental floss, etc.), massages, lunches by lake Victoria, and a plush new hotel with gym, swimming pool, and shmancy restaurant. But by far, the best thing about Kisumu is the ex-pat missionary community. Last Saturday I was able to rejoin the praise/prayer meetings that I started going to in 2013. It's awesome to fellowship with these people (Americans, Brits, Germans) and hear about the crazy/incredible ways that they sacrifice themselves (e.g. special-ed teaching in orphanages, reuniting runaway boys with their families). I'm grateful to be a highly welcomed novelty (oddity?) in their missionary circles. Pictures of Kisumu to come...

There are dozens of people who I need to thank for keeping me afloat here. Some of you wrote letters that I brought here - THANK YOU! your letters are gifts that keep on giving. Some of you just casually keep in touch - via gmail, facebook, whatsapp, or just commenting here in blogger. I am super grateful for you. There is nothing like friends back home or elsewhere to keep perspective and keep going.

A few special shout outs: 1) Mike Zapata and Cornelius Van Wright sent along letters from the kids at church (I've been helping lead their Sunday school once a month for a few years). This was such an amazing surprise! 2) Clara Cheong: you are amazing. Really, how do you do it? Clara sent me here with a little present for each month accompanied by a note. At the beginning of August I opened up two little perfume samples. They smell like Eau de $$$. So exciting. 3) I have to testify that a miracle occured in early July… Hannah Omolade and Heather Obasare took a chance and tried to Facetime me from Australia. The call came through!!! We Facetimed as I stood in the middle of a parking lot, to the amusement of many onlookers! This was a momentous occasion :). Missing and loving you guys and many others.



Lastly, in response to someone (erratum: 'twas Mrs. Steele!!)
who wanted more pics of me in the field: here's a Nat Geo quality shot of me and a lady named Sputnik ;). 

Lots and lots of love,
Nicole

P.S. Resounding scripture of my week: If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and I have faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 1 Cor 13:2

12 comments:

  1. Love and miss you Nicole! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Solomon and Isaac love monkeys. They will especially the like the pic of you and your monkey friend! God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Andrea!! I'll send you some great shots of the monkeys for the boys! Miss you all. God bless!

      Delete
  2. Nicole, the details in your post are so touching, i was tearing up the whole time -- thinking that someday I want to be you. Your scripture pushed me over the edge with full on tears at my desk at work !! YOUR AMAZING my friend, love your posts !!! Keep them coming !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph you are way to cool to deign to be me! :D Hope summer in NYC has been awesome for you. Thank you for the love! Love you!

      Delete
  3. So fun! I wonder if your Kisumu missionary friends know the Shackett family...I believe their best friends started an orphanage there and my friend Kara (the daughter) worked there...will find out! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jaime! So great to hear from you! I'll have to ask around if anyone knows the Shackett family, I've had the pleasure of meeting Kara a couple of times! I'll let you know. Lots of love xo

      Delete
  4. I love all these pics!! You are my heeeeeerooooooooo =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You're everyday life is powerful! Inspired back here in the big City! Lake lunches sound great! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love, James. Those pamphlets you sent me about servant-leadership were awesome and have been a great source of encouragement/guidance for making things happen here! xo

      Delete
  6. Haha!! I absolutely love this post and you!! YAY Love the team work. I gotta get another FaceTime with you and heather again funny! I am missing and praying for you boo! Its so good to have people you can visit in other parts of Kenya! What a blessing! And I totally get the feeling of having woolworths in a place you don't expect it. LOL (A kid in a candy store making it rain) lol! Looking forward to more of these mamita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah... it was pouring inside of woolworths - LET ME TELL YOU. I was in there for almost two hours :D. Yes! Another chat soon is a must. Love you Hannah!!

      Delete